After some surprises in keywords analysis from my previous posts, I decided to draw up another set of keywords and phrases, including the current and ubiquitous ‘Cloud’.
The other closely relevant and contemporary keyword I reckon would be ‘Hybrid Cloud’.
As some industry players might concur, hybrid cloud has gained some visibility in recent years. The results thus, befuddled me, again.
- Cloud itself, as I had expected, didn’t come as a surprise. All dashboards were populated.
- But a different story emerged for Hybrid Cloud. According to Google, the results though somewhat ‘dismay’, was better than Hyperconverged and Hybrid IT. There was ‘whipsaw’ in the graph shown below. I find this form of ‘volatility’ unusual and gave some discounted accuracy to this analytical outcome. But nevertheless, it seemed better than the previous two keywords.
After several rounds of tests, some questions popped up in my mind…
- Was HPE not within the digital search realm in certain geographical areas, in the hyperconverged market?
- Was HPE less visible in the digital search world in the context from the two keyword phrases tested above? Or were those results just a fluke? And can this fluke happen again?
I decided to cross-reference to HPE Singapore website (it has since been revamped).
‘Hybrid IT’ was peppered all over the website, whereas, ‘Hyperconverged’ only appeared once or twice, far in-between.
The entire analysis and what had been presented by Google Analytics didn’t add up with HPE’s (previous) website design. The next thing which came to my mind was, ‘did HPE invest in the wrong keywords’?
All in all, my conclusion in this case can be summed into the followings:
- ‘Hybrid IT’ might be less recommended as a lead keyword to use in digital marketing (However, going by most marketing collaterals and perhaps content creator’s choice over the years, Hybrid IT has been the keyword heavily invested by HPE in the industry) or for optimisation in hashtags and meta data
- ‘Hyperconverged’ might be a better choice but still may not be as strong
- ‘Hybrid Cloud’ might be the most optimum to use in digital marketing initiatives*
If you are a chief marketing officer (CMO),
- What kind of preparation activity would you have your team to carry out for a similar campaign (not necessary in IT industry or hyperconverged segment)?
- Would keywords research be an important component in your preparation work and why?
- What do you reckon the CPC budget to be in digital marketing campaign?
- What is the weightage of keyword research in the specific domains of SEO, SEM and SMM in digital marketing?
Please feel free to share any thoughts.
*Hybrid Cloud can have different definitions. There have been instances where industry and endusers tend to associate Hybrid Cloud with Hyperconverged or Hybrid IT.
Written by Gary Tan